GUTGAA–Meet & Greet

by D. D. Falvo on September 2, 2012 | @ddfalvo

Welcome GUTGAA participants! First, I really would like to thank Deana Barnhart, host of  the Gearing Up To Get An Agent Blogfest/Pitch Contest, and the participating agents. If you would like to join in with the 6 week long festivities be sure to sign up here. The GUTGAA FAQ info is here.

Questions for the Meet and Greet

-Where do you write?

This is where I write– in the attic nook of my 100+ year-old house. There’s just enough room for a whole world full of fantastical creatures, landscapes with attitude, grumbly mages, and children who are really earthbound stars. Every now and then a dragon gets out, but experience has taught me to keep the fire extinguisher close and to practice some patience–those pesky beasts always return home because everyone knows the cat treats in my kitchen are never as good as the wobble fish in Ir. You can visit them all in my fantasy series called StarDust.

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?

A bag of dark chocolate-covered acai berries, a stack of used notebooks, and my Zebra F-402.

-Favorite time to write?

Early, before the dawn and after pouring coffee.

It’s 2 AM right now, so the deep of night is awesome, too– it’s all the secrets the dark holds, you know? But dawn is the favorite, for the promise of a new day where anything can happen.

-Drink of choice while writing?

Whoops! Nailed two dragons with one thunderbolt (see above.) Oh! But may I add, a Starbucks hot green tea latte (no foam, no sweetener) is *never* refused?

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

Utter silence– which technically doesn’t exist. Noise cancellation headphones come close to getting there.

But for inspiration/editing, music draws out the muse and gets her dancing.

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

Hmm . . . a life-long passion for magical things, and the driving need to push past the limits of reality.

-What’s your most valuable writing tip?

Connect with other writers.

My Tribe of author friends have taught me so much; we share our collective knowledge, our talent, and our dreams. They are my mentors, my staunchest supporters, and my guideposts for navigating the world of publishing. Without them I am nothing.

And always keep a pen and paper at hand, especially while sleeping.

{ 53 comments… read them below or add one }

Lara Schiffbauer September 3, 2012 at 3:53 am

I love your attic nook! It looks so fresh and airy. I think I’m starting to get office envy, between you and Rick Wilcox! Well, and Vaughn’s too. You all look so writerly!

D. D. Falvo September 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hi Lara! I just came from your site and I love your new look over there. Your writing space is awesome, too– you are so lucky to have a prairie view. There’s nothing more inspiring than being surrounded by nature whilst we write. :)

PK Hrezo September 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love your nook! And I agree: silence and coffee are must haves.
Great to meet you!! :D

D. D. Falvo September 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Hey PK, so nice to meet you! Yay for team silence. :P Your wrap around desk sounds awesome! I would lurve that, too. Thanks for stopping by.

Tracy September 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I know this dark chocolate covered acai berries and love them. I also have almost the same color green on my walls. Excellent writing space you have!

D. D. Falvo September 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Hi Tracy! Eeee! The DCCAB are addictive-ly delish. Sounds like we’re birds of a feather, fun to know. :P So glad to see you here with GUTGAA!

Jenna September 3, 2012 at 5:47 pm

So jealous of your writing nook! I love that there’s a window right there. Your writing is so poetic from these questions alone, so I wish you the best of luck with StarDust! Also, I agree with the mention of writing friends being so important. I always read the Acknowledgements now in books. For YA, there’s a group of writers that I’ve recently noticed are friends and critique partners, all published around the same time…Brenna Yovanoff, Maggie Steifvater, Tessa Gratton…and what do you know–they’re all successful. They helped each other get where they are now.

D. D. Falvo September 3, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hi Jenna! Your blog is so pretty! It looks like you’ve worked out the perfect setting– I could smell the rose-scented breeze ruffling your curtains. What a fortunate group those YA authors are–I’ll bet they have great stories to tell of their journeys. Thank you for the kind words and for coming by. I wish you much success with your writing. (Love that you’ve spent time in Japan!) :)

Kelley Lynn September 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Your little writing space looks SO cool.

And early writing? Good for you. My characters don’t get up that early ;)

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:29 am

Thanks, Kelley. I laughed over your character’s preference for later starts. Congratulations on publishing your novel. *That* is so awesome. :D

Alleged Author September 3, 2012 at 9:26 pm

What a wonderful writing area. <—–Jealous!

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:39 am

Oooo . . . I see you are as fond of hobbits as I am. Great power does come in small sizes . . . and hidden places, or in a whisper, or a touch. That’s the best thing about being a writer. We can call the shots however we want. :P

Angie Sandro September 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Love your writing nook. It’s adorable.

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:41 am

Thanks, Angie! I wrote at the dining room table for a long time before my hubby decided to shuffle me off to the attic–my friends were a little worried, but he lets me out frequently. :P

Dawn Allen September 3, 2012 at 10:37 pm

LOVE the attic space. I had a great writing space until we moved across the state. Now I am in a temporary residence while I renovate a house. Part of that renovation is a writing nook. :-)

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:51 am

Thank you, Dawn. Aw, moving is tough but it sounds like you have something awesome to look forward to. I hope your new space turns our perfect. :)

G. Donald Cribbs September 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Dear D.D.,

That’s a great writing space. You’re the queen of your castle! I enjoyed your answers to the GUTGAA questions. I can tell you really enjoy writing. Happy creating!

Warm regards,

Don #138

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:55 am

Hello, G. Donald. I am! The best part is, if anyone wants something, they have to climb two flights– that means they have to want it pretty badly to bother me, so I generally get left to my own ends. :) Thank you for stopping by.

Nicole L. Bates September 4, 2012 at 12:10 am

What a fun post! I loved learning these details about you D.D. and I completely agree that in the dark of the morning is my favorite time to write, in complete silence, with green tea. :)

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:23 am

Hey everybody! Nicole here is a member of my Tribe, and one of the peeps I was thinking of when I wrote my last answer re: writing advice. Thanks for coming by, Nicole. Aw, I love knowing that you enjoy those things, too. I’ll be thinking about that tomorrow when I write and know I’m not alone. <3

Jeannette September 4, 2012 at 3:42 am

I love the design of your blog. I’m new to this blogging world, so I’m taking notes on the ones that inspire me, and yours definitely does! Nice to meet you, and look forward to seeing you around the other GUTGAA events!

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hi Jeannettee! I’m new, too– been at this since April and these blog hops are the most wonderful way to meet other writers. Your site is great just the way it is! –and your answers had me laughing all the way through.

Jessica Foster September 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

Your writing nook looks so cozy. I love how you added such voice to the answers to the questions with comments about dragons and such. I bet your books have awesome voice. Nice to meet you.

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Aw, thanks, Jessica. :) So nice to meet you, too. I love that your pets hang out while you write! It’s awesome that you chose water as your writing beverage. Water makes for better stories– soda dehydrates the brain. :P

Suja September 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Hi,
Stopping by on the GUTGAA bloghop. I loved your comments and envy that writing space of yours. It’s beautiful. Best of luck.

D. D. Falvo September 4, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks, Suja! Love that you snagged your spot from the hubby. :P I nodded at your answer re: best writing advice is follow the inspiration. You know you have a winner when the story grows beyond what your brain can hold. :D

Carla Rehse September 5, 2012 at 2:02 am

I love the look of your blog.

My town finally got a Starbucks several months. I’ve decided it’s my civic duty to help the local economy by purchasing a weekly coffee and a cute cake-thingy on a stick.

D. D. Falvo September 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh, yeah, I’m on board with that. :P Thanks for coming by, Carla. It was so nice to meet you.

Suzi September 5, 2012 at 2:07 am

Ohh, I love that writing nook. So cool to have your own little spot. Right next to a window too. I like it.

D. D. Falvo September 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Thanks, Suzi! It helps to see what’s going on the neighborhood, as long as it’s not distracting-ly interesting. :)

Deana Barnhart September 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Gasp! I am totally green with envy over your writing nook!!! I am in love to the tenth degree:) And I love that you’re on team silent too!!!

D. D. Falvo September 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Deana, you are so sweet. I’m totally grateful for all the hard, hard work you’ve put into GUTGAA! You are doing an AMAZING job and it’s been so much fun to meet all the peeps this week. I saw that you’ve got your green on, too! (Your gorgeous site.) :D FYI: This girl spent a lot of years in the basement before getting elevated to the attic– lol. It’s always one extreme or the other. :P

Jessica September 6, 2012 at 4:17 am

I love your little writing nook, it looks so cozy!! I have to admit tha I have no clue what a zebra f-402 is though……and I agree that the wee hours of the morning are enchanting. Nice to meet you, happy writing

D. D. Falvo September 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hi Jessica! Thanks. Yay! Another fan of writing in the dark. It’s before dawn right now, and I’m working out a scene. :) A Zebra F-402 is a pen–the best writing pen ever as far as I’m concerned–all steel, nice grip, super-fine point. :P Do you have a favorite? So nice to meet you, too.

Stacey Nash September 6, 2012 at 9:23 am

Hi, Beautiful blog you have, and what a great little writing nook in your attic. I’m jealous :)

D. D. Falvo September 6, 2012 at 11:12 am

Hi Stacey! Thanks so much. Loved your answers for GUTGAA (great voice,) and in particular, the elements you prescribe for a good story. Best of luck to you. :D

Charlie Holmberg September 6, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Can I just say that is an AWESOME writing nook? It looks so… cozy, and you even have a window. Can we trade? XD

D. D. Falvo September 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks, Charlie. lol. Keep in mind that I’m in the *attic.* It’s blistering hot in the summer–you can literally bathe in your own sweat. :P Of course the upside is that heat still rises in the winter so it becomes pretty cozy, then. So nice to meet you!

Meredith Mansfield September 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Nice to meet another GUTGAA participant.

Looks like a cool attic space. Unfortunately, my house doesn’t have an attic–at least not an accessible one.

D. D. Falvo September 7, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hi Meredith! Thanks. It’s nice to meet you, too. This is my first home with a walk up attic, but I still have to share it with household overflow. :)

T.J. September 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm

D.D. – I have to agree with everyone else – pure, unadulterated jealousy over your little writing nook! I get…the recliner part of a sectional. But that means I get all the animal cuddles *G*

I am a sucker for a good dragon. I have one book in which a very big dragon is heavily involved in the MC’s destiny. Still in love with that big lug *sigh*

Coffee and chocolate. We would get along so well….is there anything else? Hubby says yes.

Good luck in GUTGAA – may we get our queries in quickly and in the first 100!

D. D. Falvo September 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Lol, TJ! We would totally get along– so enjoyed your comments. What’s the “big lug’s” name? I’m very fond of all my creatures, too, kinda like in RL. :P Loved your blog bio (lol’d your blog name.) You have an awesome voice. Fingers crossed that your pitch got in– I’ll look for it, and if not, be sure to put it up. I’ll visit. :)

T.J. September 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

My two story big lug is Ajagara. Probably my favorite character I have ever known. Nothing like a building sized dragon telling you to quit writing him like a pansy. I have that MS done, but it needs a complete rewrite because, well *circling toe in carpet*, I didn’t listen and he came out like a pansy.

Wait…they aren’t real?!?!

I made it!! *snoopy dance that scares the cat* This particular MS doesn’t have dragons, but the blue unicorn is slated to make a few appearances. Snarky little creature he is… :-/ (And it is adult scifi/fantasy LOL)

D. D. Falvo September 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Yay! We not only subscribe to the same genre, but also that particular branch no one else targets anymore: adult. Up ’til now I was feeling a bit lonely. :) LOL!RE: snoopy dance– me, too. ;) (deep breath) Prepare the ship, Mateys. This could be a rough ride.
Oh! Snark is the condiment of choice for the ms soup. Make sure to tell Ajagara that another commenter (why isn’t that spelled commentor? It looks better,) said she enjoyed reading about him. :D

T.J. September 10, 2012 at 6:56 pm

They are up! Mine is entry #87 Burning Bridges. Please go and tear it into little bitty pieces so I can make it better. And let me know which is yours…

Ajagara said to tell you thanks, but not to me considering how I portrayed him. He refuses to speak to me still. I think four months of pouting is a bit much, but dragons are so very sensitive.

T.J. September 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Nevermind! Found it! Lumen, yes?

Nicole Zoltack September 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

What a cozy place to write! So jealous.

D. D. Falvo September 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Thanks, Nicole! I love that you go to hang out at B&N– good way to double up on writing and reconnoissance.

Tamara September 8, 2012 at 3:39 am

Wow. You have the most awesome writing space ever and I absolutely love your answers. I read some of your comments here and the pansy dragon cracked me up. Anyway, I’m just doing some late hopping around to different blogs on GUTGAA. I’d love it if you could come visit me. My blog is brand spanking new and in somewhat desperate need of followers. Good luck with GUTGAA and great blog!

D. D. Falvo September 8, 2012 at 10:41 am

Thanks, Tamara! I love the name of your blog– so clever. :D Of, course I’ll visit–and I’m sure more peeps will also. That GUTGAA list was sooo long, it’s too hard to do it all in one week. Best of luck to you.

Misha September 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

I love your writing nook. ^_^

Also, I completely agree with you about making contact with other writer’s. It’s hands-down my favorite aspect to blogging.

D. D. Falvo September 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks, Misha! Loved your writing tip–‘Know rules so you can bend them.” It’s so true. Our voice is the best opportunity we have for standing apart, but even originality must follow some structure.

D. D. Falvo October 1, 2012 at 11:09 am

Oh, GRR. My website stopped alerting me for comments! So I missed both of yours until now. Mea Culpa, T. J.