“WHAT IF” FAIRY TALE MADNESS BLOGFEST

by D. D. Falvo on July 21, 2012 | @ddfalvo

“WHAT IF’ FAIRY TALE MADNESS BLOGFEST– PART II, THE ENTRY: CINDERELLA

The prince was unexpectedly hideous.

Visiting princesses fled the ball, unswayed by his wealth. Cinderella accepted his proposal, turning a blind eye in exchange for a royal life.

The challenge exceeded her ambition.

“He’s so ugly, I cannot bear to kiss him,” Cinderella bemoaned while brushing her hair. She paused mid-stroke, and eyed her fairy godmother. “Can’t you do something?”

“Stupid girl,” the fairy said, and waved her bony hand before the princess’s mirror.

Cinderella followed the movement, then startled at her reflection. A plain-faced girl imitated every frantic gesture of her distress.

“What have you done?” she cried.

“Undone.”

“Excuse me?”

The fairy sighed. “Your beauty was a spell, seen only by you—a confidence booster you no longer need.”

“No!” Cinderella protested. “My beauty is renowned, I am much admired by all.”

“Your kindness was renowned, your loving spirit much admired. Now vanity consumes both. Handmaids flee your foul moods, the cook cries because she cannot please you—your prince avoids your ill-concealed contempt. You are what you see,” the fairy replied.

“Old witch, get out of my sight!” Cinderella said.

The fairy gave her a sharp rap between the eyes. Cinderella screamed as the chamber went dark. She stumbled about, blind, before falling into a desolate heap.

Fearing her temper, her maids left her alone. Cinderella curled on the floor, weeping, until a warm hand touched her face and a kind voice lifted her from her despair.

Why did I never notice how rich the prince’s baritone is? she wondered, and cried harder when he hand-fed her dinner.

“My love, why do you weep?” he asked.

“Because you are so beautiful,” she sobbed, then kissed him, willingly. At that moment her sight returned, and the prince saw the truth shining in her eyes.

***

A special thank you to Morgan Shamy, Leigh Covington, Cassie Mae, and Mark Koopmans for producing such a creative and fun blog hop. All four hosts are amazing writers– you can visit their page by clicking on their names. Each of their blogs provide a full list of participants and links to the entries. There are so many great stories, you’ll want to enjoy them all. :)

It’s really hard to write a complete story in 300 words, but I did my best and hope you enjoyed it. :) What fairy tale is your favorite– and if you could change one thing, what would you choose?

“WHAT IF” FAIRY TALE MADNESS BLOGNESS– PART I, THE RULES:

WHAT IF?
Fairytale Madness BlogFest!
AUGUST 13th – 17th

Outwitting the dry heat this summer has been a challenge, and it seems even this blog could use a little rain. :) I’ve been working on LUMEN during the Nanowrimo summer camps, and trying my hand at flash fiction – the latest being my submission for the Fairytale Madness Blogfest, hosted by  Leigh CovingtonMark KoopmansCassie Mae, and Morgan Shamy . Come join the blog hop August 13th through the 17th, even if you don’t write you are sure to enjoy the collection of short stories based on the following categories: Plot Twist, Love Story, Tragedy, and Comic Relief.  If you’d like to try your hand at sketching out a scene of 300 words or less, click on any of the links above to learn more about it and sign up!

I chose the story of Cinderella and the category, PLOT TWIST. There’s so much more I wanted to write– it’s very, very hard to limit a scene to 300 words! My entry can be found in the blog above.

{ 60 comments… read them below or add one }

Nicole L. Bates July 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm

What a fun idea for the contest! I hope the writing is going well and good luck D.D.!

D. D. Falvo July 28, 2012 at 1:21 am

Thanks, Nicole! Come and join us– I know you’ve got a plot twist lurking in that talented brain. :D

Lara Schiffbauer August 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Oh my gosh, Denise! I love this! It’s funny, sweet and has a moral, too! Great job!

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 2:08 am

Hi Lara! Thank you so much– for your kinds words and the inspiration to join the blogfest! I’m looking forward to your fairy tale and a fun round of blog hopping. This is going to be a good start to an “up and at ‘em” week, right?

J. A. Bennett August 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Oh! I love that twist! So very sweet! Great story :)

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, J.A.! Your visit is much appreciated. :) I really enjoyed your entry as well– it definitely left me wanting more.

Vaughn Roycroft August 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

How’d I miss this? I just love it, D! You really mastered an economy of words, making the most of each sentence. Such great twists. Bravo!

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Thanks, Vaughn. Your thoughtful comments are always so appreciated! :D I’m looking forward to the day when I can blog about that awesome epic of yours.

Nicole L. Bates August 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Fantastic story Denise! I love the twist and the message. Well done! Best of luck to you, and you’ve got my vote.

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanks, Nicole– you always leave the nicest comments, and I treasure them all. <3

Morgan Shamy August 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Loooooove this… !!!

What a fun twist. And way to fit the whole story in 300 words! It’s clear you’re talented. Awesome work :D Thank you also for creating this amazing blog hop– I’m having so much fun. :D

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thanks, Morgan! My daughter and I just loved your story. You have a wonderful gift for imagery. :)

Leigh Covington August 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm

This is brilliant! I was totally intrigued through the entire thing! I love it!
Thanks so much for being part of the blog fest! Great entry!

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thank you, Leigh! I truly enjoyed your tragic tale and the deliciously snarky vibe. Loved the ending, re: the bitter king. Thanks also for hosting this wonderful blog hop. It’s been a blast.

Clare Dugmore Writes August 13, 2012 at 7:21 pm

This is excellent, thanks for sharing. I love that Cinderella lost her beauty, because she’d forgotten her kindness was renowned and loving spirit, but that she saw the prince’s true beauty in the end. :D

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thank you, Claire! I appreciate your visit, and enjoyed your moving rendition of Beauty and the Beast as well. :)

michelle August 13, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Excellent plot twist, concise writing, great voice + a moral = a winning combo! Love this!

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Haha–the lady with Bluebeard in her pocket! Thanks, Michelle. This has been an enjoyable day spent amidst so much collective creativity. I adored your clever Elizabeth and zinger of an ending.

Linda Jackson August 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Oh, wow. I love this. Such a great twist!

New follower, btw. :)

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hi, Linda! Thank you so much for your kind words, and the follow. Both are much appreciated. :)

Rena August 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Nice! I like this twist on Cinderella! Good job.

D. D. Falvo August 13, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Thanks, Rena. Your feedback is so appreciated! Have a great night. :)

Connie B. Dowell August 14, 2012 at 12:21 am

Interesting twist. Cinderella is always told as being so sweet. It’s a little enjoyable to see her be snarky and get taught a lesson.

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 3:21 am

Thanks, Connie! I love that word– snarky. lol. I really enjoyed your “old” sleeping Beauty. It was refreshing. :)

Sabrina A. Fish August 14, 2012 at 1:00 am

How great that they both see each other for who they really are in the end. Great job!

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 3:25 am

Ahhh . . . I remember you, your Rumplestiltskin packed one heck of an emotional wallop. A heart-rendering tragedy with lovely imagery. Thanks so much for coming by, and the like on my page. :D

Lauren August 14, 2012 at 2:20 am

Oh, yeah! I like doing Cinderella as the bad guy.

Lauren
Lauren-ritz.blogspot.com

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 3:26 am

Me, too! :P Thanks, Lauren! I see yours is up now, and I’m off to read it. :)

Donna Hole August 14, 2012 at 4:12 am

I’m not sure I have a favorite fairy tale; I enjoy them all, especially this twisted prompts.

That was a great take on Cinderella. Beauty really is only what you see. A person is so much more than that.

Loved this version.

……..dhole

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I agree, Donna! This blogfest has been so much fun. I’ve enjoyed the originality of each entry and even though I complained about the WC– the short reads were a perfect length for hopping about. Thanks for the kind feedback– I believe beauty is something that shines from within, too. And I loved your pumpkin-eater story! It had such delightful surprises. :)

Bethany Meyer August 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Dee, I love your take on Cinderella! 300 words is so hard for me…I like foreplay! You nailed it!

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm

LOL, Bethany– I do, too! You always make me laugh. Thank you so much for the visit and comment. It means a lot. <3

Ilima August 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

This was incredible. Seriously. I think you should turn it into a full-fledged book!

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Aw! Thanks, Ilima! I think I’ll float around the room for a while after that comment. :D Your engaging take on Sleeping Beauty definitely left me wanting more.

tara tyler August 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm

that was a wonderful twist!
reminded me of shallow hal =)

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thanks, Tara! I hadn’t thought of that, but you’re right. :P Loved your humor with the 3 Little pigs– it was sooo good, I laughed on it a long while.

Cecilia Robert August 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Oh, D.D, This is absolutely fantastic! You managed to tell the story in just a few words. To who the princess’ personality, the prince’s kindness and the leson she learned after she became blind. Wow! well done. :)

D. D. Falvo August 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm

(blushes) Thanks, Cecelia! You made my day. :) This has been such an enjoyable experience– and your rendition of Beauty & the Beast was no exception. I felt each trepid footfall as Belle moved toward the alter; the Beast’s mournful howl broke my heart.

Mina B. August 15, 2012 at 12:33 am

Wonderful. The beauty in these fairy tales are so overrated. Well done. :)

D. D. Falvo August 15, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thanks, Mina– I agree. Got a chuckle out of your king, and enjoyed your Cinderella’s spirit. The docile maidens in fairy tales are over-rated, too, me thinks. :P

Tracy Bermeo August 15, 2012 at 1:01 am

That was amazing. One of my faves so far (I’m starting from the bottom and working my way up). Great to meet you in the hop!
A2Z Mommy and What’s In Between

D. D. Falvo August 15, 2012 at 1:59 am

Hi Tracy! So nice to meet you, too– loved your version of the little red hen and her over-eager roomies. It was charming with a wonderful pace. Thanks for the kind words. All the stories are fun.

Cortney Pearson August 15, 2012 at 2:02 am

Aaaah. Sigh. Such a great ending to the twist! Nicely done!

D. D. Falvo August 15, 2012 at 2:06 am

Thanks, Cortney. I think the plot twist was a favorite category, don’t you? Loved your imagery, and the shocking end. :)

Mark Koopmans August 15, 2012 at 7:59 am

Aloha D.D.,

It’s my first time visiting, and all I can say is:

WOW! You go with your Plot-twisting self :)

That was really, really great and I loved how you jam-packed so much into three hundred words ;)

Thanks so much for participating and I’m a new subscriber (if I can’t be a new follower :)

D. D. Falvo August 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Mahalo! Thanks for the kind words, the grin on mah face has spread from ear-to-ear. :D You and the others have done an amazing job organizing this blog hop, and it’s been a blast reading all the entries. I got a kick out of No and Stella (great pacing) and thoroughly enjoyed your zinger at the end. Very clever. Thanks for the follow, too– I’m following back. :) Aloha.

Danielle B August 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

What a great twist! I love this!

D. D. Falvo August 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thanks, Danielle! Your twist on Rumplestiltskin was wicked! lol. Great plot twist and deliciously horrific. :P

Shelly Brown August 16, 2012 at 5:56 am

That was a great twist on Cinderella. A great moral as well. Nicely done!

D. D. Falvo August 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks, Shelley! I enjoyed both fairy tales on your blog– the Shoemaker was both funny and tragic, and the Seven Dancing Princesses a fun trip back through the 70′s.

Cindy August 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Loved the Cinderella and the twist on her story!

D. D. Falvo August 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for commenting, Cindy! I remember laughing at your medley of twists, particularly Sleeping Beauty’s night-stalker hubby. Clever twists.

Medeia Sharif August 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm

This is a wonderful retelling. It was full of surprises and had a great message.

D. D. Falvo August 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Welcome to my blog, Medeia (love your name btw) and thanks for the comment. :) Your Rumplestiltskin depicting the miller and daughter as swindlers was a funny plot twist. I reallyenjoyed the silly imps that self-destructed. :)

Nick Wilford August 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm

It felt longer than the 300 words! Lots happening in the story. I really like the message you put across as well. This is high quality work!

D. D. Falvo August 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Lol, Nick! It’s 300 right on the nose, and I swear if the restriction had been 299– I’d be at a loss to cut a another single word. Thanks for coming by. I checked your blog again and see that you got yours up on Thurs. so I’m off to read it now. :)

Cassie Mae August 20, 2012 at 3:32 am

Oh my goodness, I love this. You write so beautifully!

D. D. Falvo August 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Thank you so much, Cassie. And thanks for hosting such a fun blog hop– you rock! I’ve truly enjoyed this opportunity to meet other writers and share what we love to do. :D

Normandie Fischer August 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Denise, it’s about time someone got to the heart of the matter! Good for you.

D. D. Falvo August 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm